Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Spring is the Time for a Renaissance

Yesterday we had a record high temperature for March. It reached 81 degrees here in Michigan. I, like many of fellow Michiganders, put on shorts as soon as I got home and took my pasty white legs outside. There is something about the coming of the spring that makes people appreciate a walk out of doors. I see it every year. Michigan's warm weather comes in short little teases. We have a day or two of exceptionally warm weather and then we get a day of snow. As soon as temperatures hit the mid 50's the shorts come out and everybody laughs at the absurdity of those pale legs, but we are happy and we appreciate taking a walk or just getting outside. Then the temps dip again and everybody hides indoors, grumbles to themselves and wishes for another day like yesterday.

But, as soon as we get a week of good days, we stop going outdoors. We stop appreciating the opportunity to take a walk. And we hide ourselves indoor and complain about our air conditioning bills. Somehow we forget that surge of joy we received from getting outside and enjoying a renewal of life. We notice the buds on the trees, but we fail to note when leaves first unfurl and we forget about them again until it is time to rake them and the year comes to its natural end.

I feel that we ought to learn from the joy we receive when we step outside and appreciate natures renaissance, the season of rebirth. Why can't we have a spring all year long? What is spring, but a renewal of life? I am in the midst of renewing and recreating my life. I have identified areas that I feel have stagnated, gone dormant, etc... and I intend to rekindle those areas by seeking excellence within them. There is always some area that I can improve, which means there is always an opportunity to bring spring into my life.

I am fortunate that I can start my renaissance here in the spring time. I can't go to my car without getting a reminder of what renewal is like. I know that joy that comes from the starting of life. But, we don't have to wait for those warm days to experience spring. I know, living in Michigan that there is still a cold day or two coming, but it won't stop me from finding a new way to spark life into my world.

What is your renaissance?

No comments: