Friday, March 23, 2007

Don't Worry, Be Active (My Experience With Anxiety)

The Onset of my downfall
Six years ago I had my first panic attack. I had heard the words "panic attack" and part of me thought I might be experiencing one, but the more desperate part of me thought I was having a heart attack. I was twenty-five and thought I was about to die. I was all alone. I was embarrassed. I thought it was almost impossible that someone my age could be experiencing a heart attack. For well over an hour I tried different ways to alleviate the symptom. I tried breathing into a paper bag. I tried reading, but couldn't concentrate. I tried to distract myself with TV, video games, I called up a friend "just to talk"--nothing helped.

I was just as afraid of a hospital bill as I was dying of a heart attack so I hung on and waited. When I could take it no more I decided I would drive to the hospital, at least I wouldn't be charged for an ambulance. I made it about a half mile and I was certain that I was going to pass out. I pulled into the parking lot of a pharmacy and asked the clerk to call for an ambulance. They did so, and I waited for an ambulance to come. I never passed out. When the drivers got there, they talked to me for a couple of minutes and told me they would take me to the hospital if I wanted, but I wasn't displaying any real signs of a heart attack. They told me it was just anxiety.

I was embarrassed, but at least my symptoms were fading. I drove home and told no one about the episode. I didn't experience another attack for almost a year. After the second attack I started experiencing them regularly. I visited the hospital three more times. All with the same diagnosis. I was experiencing chest pains and a numbness in my left arm. I was certain that there was something seriously wrong with me. My doctor scheduled a stress test and ruled out any heart complications. But nothing, except suggestions that I might have thoracic outlet syndrome, was identified. The attacks were coming more regularly. I couldn't afford to go to the hospital each time an attack came on. But, each time one did come I wondered if this time it might really be a heart attack. Should I wait it out? I spent many a night laying on the shower floor, because the heat form the falling water helped mask the sensations. My doctor finally prescribed anxiety medicine and they helped reduce the length and severity, but they didn't prevent them.

Something had to change....

How I learned to control the attacks

There were about several things that fell into place for me.

First, I looked up anxiety attacks and learned that they are just a natural "fight or flight" response gone wrong. The actual experience, if you look at it from a fitness standpoint is actually good for you. Your body experiences a caloric burn equivalent to a good aerobic workout. Despite how terrifying the feeling actually is, it is basically harmless.

Second, I learned that anxiety attacks can be brought on by caffeine, by poor diet and exercise, and dehydration. I started a 30-day trial. I cut back my coffee to two to three cups in the morning (I drank a lot of coffee), I bought a container that was exactly half of the recommended amount of water and committed myself to draining it at least twice a day. I committed to exercising a minimum of 30 minutes a day. And I stopped eating fast food and only ate meals that I cooked myself.

Third, I stopped trying to avoid the panic. (I wish I could find the site I learned this from, because there is some great information) Instead, whenever the sensations began I would quietly say "bring it on" and force myself to examine what specifically I was feeling and then try to describe that pain in detail.By the time I had identified several places where I was experiencing slight pains or tension the panic usually started to fade. After a couple of weeks of going through this process the attacks stopped.

I know that all the elements, including diet and exercise, I described above are necessary, because after I hurt myself moving I stopped following the diet and exercise portion and within two months the attacks began again. I couldn't control them just by acknowledging what I was feeling. I had to return to a strict diet and exercise program. I am just now getting back under control.

If anyone has any other suggestions on how to control anxiety I'd love to share them. Drop me a line at jonathanpippenger@gmail.com or leave a comment.

No comments: