Monday, May 21, 2007

Change of Perspective

Changing perspectives can sometimes bring us back into focus. I have not been contributing to this site regularly and nearly stopped all together. My attitude on personal development has been almost as sporadic. I would describe it more of a back swing of the pendulum. I had been so Gun ho about personal development that it was all I was talking about. I was spending hours and hours reading up on personal development. About a month ago I read Getting Things Done by David Allen and spent the next week trying to adopt it into my life. I created a hipster and went about getting things done. It really worked.

And then it all stopped. Most of my momentum was destroyed by spring break. My routine had been interrupted. I usually wake early in the morning and get my exercise on, then pack eat breakfast, pack the same old lunch and zoom off to work an hour early to do some writing before the students get there. I was doing great, and then the routine fell apart. I stayed up late during spring break and got up late, which meant that I didn't get up for my exercise, which led to a break down of all other positive things I had been doing for myself.

I was having a hard time turning the momentum around once again. Nothing was working. So I stopped altogether. I didn't like feeling guilty so I stopped worrying about it and turned to other concerns. I switched my perspective from myself to my children. One of the problems with not exercising and doing positive things to help yourself along is that you become more stressed. My stepdaughter is really good and escalating that stress to new levels. I was ready to give up on her and go into hiding whenever I was at home. But, before I did that I started reading up on step parenting and found some incentive to try working with her a little more.

I felt better, so I returned to learn more about step parenting. I learned more and more and as I sought new ways to be a better parent I once again realized that I must better myself. So, I started writing again. My alarm is set nice and early. I started a new blog Growing Up With The Kids. And I'm moving again in the right direction.

No comments: