Monday, April 2, 2007

April 2nd, Update on My Health Goals

I weighed myself this morning. I weighed in at 264 pounds. The batteries in my scale died a while ago and so my last measurement had been on a doctor's scale. At that time I was at exactly 275 pounds. This causes a little bit of an accuracy problem because I am using two scales. I figure a five pound difference in either direction is probably a safe margin of error. That being the case. I lost anywhere from 6 to 16 pounds since I weighed in at the doctor's office. From now on I will be weighing myself on my home scale, so that I have a little more consistency.

The good news is that I have lost weight following the plan. Six pounds would be right about where I ought to be. Sixteen pounds would put me way ahead of schedule. I am not going to concern myself too much with that actual amount I lost. The important thing is that I'm moving in the right direction. So let me take a look at what is working.

First, I have built success into my schedule. Every day I have three opportunities to exercise. I wake at 5 am and exercise that time. I exercise during my lunch. And then I walk to the park with my son and the dog in the evening. The last doesn't always happen as it is dependent on the weather. I consider it bonus exercise. The other two exercises are almost a given. The only way I miss my morning exercise is if I fail to crawl out of bed in time. On occasion I do have some distraction at lunch, but this is rare and I can usually get in a half-hour walk. With three scheduled times for exercise the odds of not exercising are slim. I am bound to make at least one and usually I make two if not all three times. This is certainly helping me feel better and keeping me motivated.

Second, I turned my diet into a series of scheduled feedings. I created a diet packed with nutrition that requires me to eat every two hours. If I eat everything on the diet I have consumed around 2500 calories. I am actually consuming 400 calories less than what is required for a moderately active man of about 190 pounds. I recently came across an article, by Debra Moorhead, called How I lost 25 Pounds in One Month, that discusses using the caloric intake of the weight you want to be and then setting your diet according to those numbers. It is basically what I did, but this is a much simpler way to come up with the number of calories to consume than how I originally calculated them. I used the suggestions to help my wife come up with a number for own diet (Not that she needs it, but she asked.) I spoke of my diet as a series of scheduled feedings. It sounds like I am an animal at the zoo or something, but I like it. It changes my mind set, makes me see food not as a treat or reward, but as source of fuel and necessary for achieving my other goals. I eat almost the same thing every day, which reinforces the food as fuel idea. As long as I eat when I'm supposed to, I don't feel hungry. But, if I am even a half-hour late, my body knows it.

Third, I am drinking lots of water. I started drinking more water at the beginning of the year. I read up on the benefits of drinking water to help reduce anxiety attacks and so I decided to find a way to ensure that I was getting the required amount of water each day. I found a bottle that was exactly half of what was required and made a commitment to filling it twice a day and consume every drop. The bottle has become a personal accessory that is almost always with me. The water bottle replaced the pop bottles that were always with me. I found that I am filling the bottle three times a day, sometimes four. Drinking this much water is important. Now, I know that when I feel hungry I am actually hungry and not dehydrated.

Armed with a triple attack on the exercise, a simple feeding schedule, and a handy water bottle I am feeling certain that next Monday I can report even more success and that feels good.

No comments: